Two teams hoping new pieces can spark a 2019 playoff berth
In the latest episode of the Locked On Women’s Basketball WNBA Podcast, host Ben Dull is joined by Neil Olstad and Erica Ayala to preview the 2019 WNBA season for the Minnesota Lynx and New York Liberty.
This episode is the eighth in a team-by-team season preview series leading up to the start of the 2019 WNBA regular season.
Topics covered in this episode include:
Minnesota (part I)
- a look back at an up-and-down 2018 season
- the retirement of Lindsay Whalen and Rebekkah Brunson’s lingering post-concussion symptoms
- the flurry of moves by Cheryl Reeve to infuse the roster with young talent on the fly
- rookies Napheesa Collier and Jessica Shepard
- playing “small” vs. more traditional lineups
- opening up the floor for Sylvia Fowles
New York (part II)
- impressions of Katie Smith’s first season as head coach
- reflecting on last season and the complications and stress caused by the venue change and ownership situation
- new owner Joseph Tsai
- takeaways from Kia Nurse’s rookie season
- getting more scoring from the perimeter from No. 2 overall pick Asia Durr
- the impact of second-round pick Han Xu
- what needs to be done to get the franchise on the fast track to getting back to the postseason with Tina Charles still in the prime of her career
The Lynx will open the regular season on Saturday, May 25 at home against the Chicago Sky (8 PM ET, CBS Sports Network). The Liberty kick off their season on Friday, May 24 at home against the Indiana Fever.
Love our 24/7 women’s basketball coverage? Join our Patreon now and support this work, while getting extra goodies and subscriber-only content for yourself.