One win away from a 2018 Finals berth, Atlanta looks to run it back
In the latest episode of the Locked On Women’s Basketball WNBA Podcast, host Ben Dull is joined by LaChina Robinson to preview the 2019 WNBA season for the Atlanta Dream.
This episode is the seventh in a team-by-team season preview series leading up to the start of the 2019 WNBA regular season.
Topics covered in this episode include:
- reflecting on Nicki Collen’s first season as head coach, the team’s run to the semifinals and the groove they found before Angel McCoughtry’s injury
- the impact of 2018 signings Renee Montgomery and Jessica Breland in their first season in Atlanta
- how Breland and Elizabeth Williams settled in and hit their stride to give the team what they needed offensively on top of what they bring defensively
- the team’s offseason needs and how Nia Coffey, Haley Peters, Maite Cazorla and Marie Gulich could each make an impact
- the opportunity facing Brittney Sykes to step into a larger role as McCoughtry works her way back and how she can alleviate some of the pressure on Tiffany Hayes
- appreciation for the perpetually overlooked Hayes
- Atlanta’s fork in the road: their status as a contender with or without McCoughtry returning at some point this season
- the local impact of the team’s return to State Farm Arena
The Dream will open the regular season on Friday, May 24 at home against the Dallas Wings.
Love our 24/7 women’s basketball coverage? Join our Patreon now and support this work, while getting extra goodies and subscriber-only content for yourself.