Connecticut Sun waive two players on the third day of training camp
The Connecticut Sun announced on May 7 that Brianna Kiesel and Ariel Edwards had been waived.
Edwards, who graduated from Penn State in 2014, signed a training camp contract with the Sun in February. She spent the 2017-2018 offseason in Israel where she averaged 17.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists for Maccabi Raanana. She spent the past offseason playing for Araski in Spain where she averaged 17.1 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for Araski.
Kiesel was signed to a training camp contract in March after playing in Poland with Pszczolka AZS-UMCS. She averaged 20.3 points, 4.1 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 steals over 16 games.
More from High Post Hoops
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, October 23: WNBA players show leadership off the court
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, October 22: UConn settles with women’s basketball coaches
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, October 21: Former Texas Tech coach Stollings files lawsuit
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, October 20: College preseason and WNBA pre-preseason news
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, October 19: NCAA shakes up schedules, not scholarships
The 2015 Pittsburgh graduate was drafted in the second round of the 2015 draft by the Tulsa Shock. After playing in all 34 games her rookie year, she appeared in just 25 games over the next two years, 2016 when the Shock moved to Dallas, and 2017 with the Atlanta Dream.
After Kiesel and Edwards were waived, there is just one non-rookie new player on the Sun’s roster, Emma Cannon. The team also has four rookies, Regan Megarity, Natisha Hiedeman, Kristine Anigwe and Bridget Carleton. The team’s roster currently sits at 15, but must be cut down to 12 by May 23.
It’s clear it won’t be easy to make the final roster for the Sun this season.
Love our 24/7 women’s basketball coverage? Join our Patreon now and support this work, while getting extra goodies and subscriber-only content for yourself.