Chicago Sky center Imani Boyette injured her left ankle during practice and will not play Friday night against the Phoenix Mercury, the team announced.
The Sky did not provide a further update on the injury itself or when Boyette may return.
More from High Post Hoops
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, May 7: The evolution of bigs from Charles to Wilson
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, April 30: Who will make the cut in a deep class of rookies
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, April 23: Rizzotti, Sienko, and Cardoso on the move
- “Two years later, here I am”: Sedona Prince among finalists for 2021 USAB Women’s AmeriCup Team
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, April 16: Dallas and Los Angeles look to be early winners of WNBA draft
The second-year center out of Texas has already posted two strong performances against the Mercury this season, both coming back in June. In the pair of losses, she averaged 11.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in 25.5 minutes. She has come off the bench in 18 of the Sky’s 22 games this season and has posted a rebounding percentage of 15.9, good for second on the team.
The injury, if significant, could be a tough blow to a Sky team that has seemingly just started to put it together. Despite their 8-14 record, the Sky have won five out of seven games, with victories over the Liberty, Lynx, and Sparks in that stretch. Boyette’s minutes have fluctuated, but she’s shown the ability to be a reliable contributor if given the opportunity. She has notched nine or more rebounds five times this season and had three double-digit scoring games.
The Sky and Mercury will tip off at 8:30 p.m. ET in Rosemont, Ill. and the game will be available via League Pass.