There are over 90 WNBA players currently playing overseas amid the coronavirus outbreak
WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert put out a statement on Wednesday, writing that the league is monitoring the spread of the COVID-19 virus and has been in close communication with WNBA players who are currently overseas.
Here is the statement in full:
“The health and safety of players and employees – with our teams and at the league level – is of the utmost importance. With regard to COVID-19, we are in touch with the teams, consulting with infectious disease specialists and monitoring guidance from the CDC and WHO. The WNBA is currently not in season, but together with the WNBPA and teams, we have been in close communication and will continue to connect with and offer resources to players in the U.S. and those playing overseas.
More from News
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, July 23: Tokyo Olympics 2021 Women’s Basketball Preview
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, July 16: All-Star recap and a breakdown of basketball to come
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, June 18: Fever should raise the white flag and start having fun
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, June 16: Dominant wins from league’s best teams
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, June 2: Kia Nurse at the buzzer, Cambage dominates inside
In addition, we continue to scenario plan around our upcoming events and season including the 2020 WNBA Draft scheduled for April 17, the start of training camp on April 26 and the tip of the WNBA season on May 15. Further details will be shared later this month.”
The COVID-19 outbreak has forced many sports organizations to make changes — many NCAA men’s and women’s basketball conferences have canceled tournaments, upcoming top tennis tournaments were also canceled and the NBA and MLS have suspended their seasons. The WNBA, which is not currently in season, does have over 90 players overseas in playing in Italy, Australia, China, Turkey, Russia, France, Hungary and more according to Winsidr’s player tracker.
Love our 24/7 women’s basketball coverage? Join our Patreon now and support this work, while getting extra goodies and subscriber-only content for yourself.