More from High Post Hoops
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, September 16: Postseason play opens with a bang
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, September 15: Who will step up in the postseason?
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, September 14: Mystics are going dancing
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, September 11: Sparks fly as Mystics upset LA
- Your Day in Women’s Basketball, September 10: Dream are (mathematically) stayin’ alive
Tuesday night was another one for the book in the career of Diana Taurasi. She helped the Phoenix Mercury secure an 83-69 win over New York by shooting over 60% from the field. She also went seven for her first seven from deep, a first in WNBA history.
But, there is more to Diana Taurasi than basketball. For one, prior to lighting it up Tuesday, she was sweating it out watching the men’s World Cup. Her beloved Argentina played in a tight contest with Nigeria but eventually won 2-1.
Taurasi was kind enough to share her Argentine threads with the camera, while teammate Brittney Griner shouted her favor for the only North American team in the tournament (viewer discretion advised).
We switched from fútbol to food to her notorious feisty play! All-in-all, all these things make Taurasi the bucket-scoring, record-breaking player we all love. We closed out our locker room chat talking about her newest title: motherhood.
You can catch Diana Taurasi and the Mercury return to action today against the Indiana Fever. The Mercury are rolling at 11-5, while the Fever is just 1-14 on the season. Things are tight at the top of the WNBA standings, but as any player will tell you, there are no nights off in the WNBA.