New York Liberty
The Liberty also worked toward building back to being a Playoff contender but suffered through missing several players to overseas commitments for a large portion of the season. Still, Tina Charles led the way through some big numbers for the Liberty.
One major bright spot for the Liberty was the play of Marine Johannès, the French signee who played two games without missing a shot and had consecutive 20-point games on August 30 and September 3, the first time that has happened for a first-year Liberty player since Crystal Robinson did it in 1999.
A few Liberty team records were set:
- They had 667 total assists, beating their previous best of 662 from last season. Their 19.6 assists per game is also a franchise record.
- The Liberty put up 2,358 field goal attempts, beating out 2016’s 2,355 total. They averaged 69.4 attempts per game, also a franchise record.
There were many individual milestones reached during the season:
- Charles played her 300th game, eclipsing the 5,500-point mark, grabbing her 3,000th rebound, and making her 1,000th free throw. She moved up to fifth in rebounds (3,133), fifth in made field goals (2,425), 10th in points (5,982), 15th in blocks (343), and 20th in made free throws (1,047).
- Tanisha Wright moved up in to a tie with Tamika Catchings for eighth all-time in her 457th game, recording her 400th steal on the way there.
- Brittany Boyd played her 100th game and recorded her 500th assist.
- Rebecca Allen played her 100th game.
- Kia Nurse scored her 500th point and made her 100th three.